Wednesday, June 25, 2014

One Hour Yeast Rolls

Have you ever been making a meal, and thought, "Ohhh.  This would be perfect with some rolls?"  But of course when you think that, there's only an hour left 'til your guests get there, and the dining room table is buried under a pile of crap a foot deep, so there's no time to make bread or even go to the store.
Or maybe that's just me.
One good thing about the whole Facebook/Pinterest thing is that there are lots of recipes getting shared.  I have bookmarked a lot, but how often do people actually try these things? 
Well, I did for once.
After a bit of tweaking (because I can always do better than an original :) ), I think this one is a keeper:

ONE HOUR YEAST ROLLS
makes 24 small rolls or 18 normal-sized

1 c warm water
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c oil
2 heaping tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
3 1/3 c flour

Mix together warm water, sugar, oil, and yeast.  Let stand for 15 minutes until bubbly.  (I do all of this with my stand mixer, but you can also do it in a regular large mixing bowl with just a wooden spoon.)
Stir in salt and beaten egg to yeast mixture.
Gradually add flour.  Dough will be kind of sticky, but add enough flour til it's manageable.  Cover with a towel and let rest in bowl for 10 minutes.
Oil hands and form dough into balls.  Place on a greased baking sheet so they are not touching.  Cover and let rise 20 minutes more.  (They will rise not quite double, and rise even more during baking, so make sure your sheet is big enough!)
Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, or until tops are golden.
Brush tops with melted butter, or butter/honey mixture (1:1 makes a nice sweet roll).

This is a super easy recipe, and even someone who says, "I'm not sure I can bake breads," could do it.  And what better way to learn, than to just dive in!
And I haven't tried it, but after making a double batch last night, and making them jumbo-sized, I'm pretty sure they could make a tasty hamburger bun as well!

1 comment:

Patricia Shelp said...

I had to make some kind of biscuit with dinner last night and these were wonderful. I've never made any kind of homemade bread so it took a bit longer then an hour but they turned out so good! Thanks!