Monday, January 28, 2013

A What? Award?

liebster



I was given the Liebster Award (???) by a reader over at love life with kids.  Apparently, she follows my blog and thought I worthy of receiving this award.  Why anyone who's not related to me would want to read my nonsense is beyond me, but I am grateful and humbled.

Apparently there are some rules.....

- Bloggers award other bloggers whom they consider as “up and coming” and have less than 200 followers, or are a newer blog.
- If you receive a Liebster, you must tell 11 things about yourself, answer 11 questions asked by the nominating blogger, and nominate 11 new bloggers.
- You then ask 11 questions to the bloggers you nominated.  Oh, and don’t forget to inform the bloggers you chose.

11 little known facts about me:

1. qqaqaqaqaqaqaaaaqaqq   I have a 9-month-old daughter who is obsessed with stretching up and beating on keyboards - the computer's and the piano's.
2. I consider our house our forever home.  We're not planning on leaving.
3.  I fall asleep almost any time Paul and I watch tv.  Yet, when Paul's working nights and I watch tv, I will regularly stay up til 1 AM and still not fall asleep.
4.  I've been leading worship at our church for 12 years now.  I started just before I turned 18, on a once-a-month basis, and took over as the main worship leader in 2006.  (It is a volunteer position in our church.)
5.  I hate jeans with stretch material in them.  But do you know how hard it is to find women's jeans that don't have spandex?
6.  I only had one boyfriend before Paul, and he had no other girlfriends before me.  Perhaps this is part of the reason we have such a great marriage?
7.   I have a mental block against learning a foreign language.  I tried Spanish, German, Greek, and Latin in high school....  Sign Language is the only one that stuck - because you can think in English!
8.  I've known Paul for a quarter century. 
9. 000102
3
+60000000000000000000000000000000000036+
3.0
0.0.0.0 
(Again with the daughter and the keyboards......) 
I am kind of a water snob.  I grew up on well water, and cannot handle chlorinated water.  We have a reverse osmosis filter in the kitchen, and I only will buy certain brands of bottled water.
10. On a related note, I'm also kind of a meat snob.  I grew up on a farm, and the beef was from our own cows.  Whenever I've had to buy meat, I've been disappointed.
11.  I only buy whole milk.  
  


11 questions from lovelifewithkids:

1. What was the best thing that happened in your life in 2012?  The birth of our daughter, the beautiful Zadie Marie.

2. Favourite food?  Steak.  Without a doubt.

3. What is your favourite hobby?  Playing piano.  But, like most hobbies, I don't get to do it for pleasure that often.  (When I play, it's to learn or practice a song for church.)

4. What is one place you’d love to travel to someday?  Europe, with husband.  With a stop at the island of Rhodes, of course. :)

5. Would you rather write things by hand or type them out?  By hand.  But due to time constraints, and children that destroy things, some things have been relegated to computer.  (Like journaling - hence this blog.)

6. What is one skill you have completely mastered?  My husband.  (Yes, I just went there.)

7. One skill you’d love to learn?  To really play guitar.  I know 5 or 6 chords, so can do simple songs and simple rhythms, but not enough to play in front of anyone.

8. Summer or winter?  Bleh.  Neither.  (But if I have to choose, it would be Summer.... My birthday is the first day of summer.)

9. One thing you really want to accomplish in 2013?  Sorting the boxes of photos that have been piled on the card table in the corner of our bedroom for a year now.

10. What was your favourite toy as a child?  Barbies, as much as I hate to admit it.

11. What is your most-cherished item in your home? Why?  My great-grandmother's violin.  Not only is it probably the most expensive thing I own, it also has wonderful family history, and truly is irreplaceable.  (Another is my wedding ring, because it is a gift from my husband and it symbolizes my love and commitment to him..... but since it's on my body, I'm not sure if this counts.)


I don't follow many blogs.  The blogs I consistently follow are over there on the right, and all of them are people I know in real life, several of them relatives.  Occasionally, I'll "check in" on people who have commented or subscribed to my blog, but in general, I don't stalk strangers. :)  I don't keep up well enough with the people I know in real life, so I don't think I should be better educated about someone I never met, than I am with someone I see every week at church.  Nothing personal, I just don't have a great desire to get lots of people to read my blog, so I'm not putting myself out there trying to promote it.  I do this mainly for my own entertainment.

So.  If you read this, consider yourself nominated.  And leave a comment, so I know to come visit your blog.  Or if you don't have a blog (or don't want to post this on yours), but still want to answer the below questions, answer them in the comments - I would love to read your answers!

Questions for my "nominees":  (Going deeper than the usual getting-to-know-you questions.)
1.  Where/how did you grow up, and where/how do you live now in comparison?
2.  In light of recent headlines, what is your stance on gun control? 
3.  When you hear "home-schooled," what is the first impression that pops into your head?
4.  If you walked by a homeless person asking for help, what would you do?
5.  What is your favorite family (immediate or extended) tradition?
6.  What do you think about the term "obey" as part of the wife's wedding vows?
7.  If someone is doing/saying something that goes against what you believe is right, do you speak out about it?
8.  Do you think entertainment (music, tv, video games, computer) affects morality and worldview?
9.  If you could have any job, without thought to practicality, what would it be?
10.  Do you think "going green" is just a fad, or do people really care about the environment?
11.  And along those lines, what do you think of the whole "global warming" phenomenon?  

Bonus Question:  Where will you spend eternity?  How do you know this?  (How many will actually answer this one?)

Those are my questions.  I want to read your answers!  Leave them in the comments.   I'll answer all of them myself in a future post.  

  

2 comments:

Patricia Shelp said...

I was catching up on your blog and I saw no one has comment so I figured I'd answer you're questions.

1.I grew up all over the USA with side trips into Canada and right now I live in North Carolina but I don't think I'll stay here when I finish school.

2.I think people have a right to side arms but not heavy caliber machine guns. You don't really need them.

3.Really lucky and that takes dedication and the ability to be non bias.

4.See if there was something I could do and if not see if there were any near by homes who had room.

5.Every holiday my family leaves an empty plate on the table when ever one is eating so the family that couldn't be there is represented.

6.I think that it's kinda needed in this day and age. Someone has to be the finally say in the decision making for the family and in all honest I'd prefer not to be that person.

7.Of course. At the very least, you'll call attention to the fact that there are other ways to do something and at the most, you'll make people think.

8.I think entertainment at a young age affects the way children see the world especially if it's violent but for older children and adults, I don't think it affects them as long as they are of sound mind.

9.I would want to teach children history from different countries in their native language so they completely understand what they're learning and can ask questions.

10.I think some people honestly care but I also think quite a bit of people are only doing so because celibates are going green.

11. I think humans have caused enough damage they we probably are causing a green house effect and sending natural events out of whack.

Bonus
I honestly have no clue. I grew up everywhere and was exposed to so many different faiths that it truly is hard to say what it true. But I think I'm starting to uncover the truth.

Amy Jo said...

Ty's asleep and I'm procrastinating on making my grocery list, so I'm going to answer your questions! :) Loved reading your answers to her questions and your 11 facts!

1. I grew up in small town, Kansas. My husband's job now requires we live in or near the city. He doesn't like Wichita, and I don't like Kansas City, so we moved to Tulsa and he found a job here. We bought a house in a small town south of the city, which is great, because it feels like home. I still love going to his and my parents houses, out in the country. I miss that. However, what makes this really feel like home is finding a church family we LOVE. I never want to leave!

2. Meh. Pass. I don't like guns personally, but I don't mind if the people I trust have them. :) I don't like the idea of weirdos having them, or wearing them on their belt in public places. I know I can't have it both ways...(freedom for a few)...so I don't really have strong feelings either way on this issue.

3. Still trying to convince my hubby that home schoolers aren't all weirdos. Then again, maybe we are. :)

4. Listen to the Lord...if I feel him leading me to give money/food/whatever, I do. If not, I don't. This happens all the time here, and it just really depends on whether I have cash and whether I feel God leading me to give it to them. I've gone both ways, many times.

5. Fave tradition is the day we put up the Christmas tree, the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Put on Christmas music, have eggnog and cookies...gets me in the spirit!

6. I don't have a problem with it. I think submit is a better word with essentially the same meaning.

7. Depends. Sometimes I do, if I feel like God will get glory out of my speaking up. Sometimes I don't, because I don't think "miss goody-two-shoes" is always needed or God-glorifying, honestly. I have changed in this area a lot over the past several years.

8. Yes.

9. Flight attendant. Absolutely. :)

10. A little of both! If any aspect of green-ness ever exists in me, it's the cheap-skate side of me!

11. Whatever...? I read a good paper by my brother in law about it once...he said it was not really a problem and backed it up with science and stuff. Sounds good to me. Basically, I trust God.

Bonus Question: I will spend eternity in heaven. Not because I am good, but because Christ paid the penalty for my sins. He's my only hope for life, both daily and eternal!

Thanks for the questions, Rachel!