Saturday, March 24, 2012

March Madness

And, no, I'm not talking about basketball.  The only reason I know that there's a basketball tournament going on right now is because it interests my husband.

I'm talking about this weather!  Our March this year has been more like May.  Paul had to mow the yard already, because it was about 10 inches tall in the back yard.  I was thinking about how ironic it is that he's mowing so early this year.  Last summer, he went from Independence Day to Labor Day (maybe even longer) without needing to mow on account of the weather.  Now, on the account of the weather, he is mowing ridiculously early!
But I'm not complaining!
It is perfect out.  Mid-70s, slight breeze.  My spring flowers are in full bloom, everything is brilliant green.  I could take this weather year-round.
So why am I inside?  I'm waiting for THIS to come out of the oven.

In other news.....
We celebrated our 8th anniversary this week.  It was definitely the most low-key anniversary we've had yet, I think.  (It was probably comparable to the two anniversaries when the boys were nursing, but I was so desperate for a date at those points, that they were incredible nights out!)
And I'm not saying that to say my husband failed.  Definitely not.  I didn't do anything for him either.  No card, no gift.
We had planned on going to a really nice fondue restaurant in the city, one that we went to when we were dating, but haven't been back to.  When the day of our big date (which was actually the night before our actual anniversary) rolled around, it was rainy.  I took the boys out to my parents for the night, and then came back home and Paul and I conferenced.  We both had had some digestive issues the previous several days, so we weren't sure about a fancy meal - you don't want to pay a lot for a meal you might regret later, you know?  So couple that with the weather (and the fact that the last romantic getaway in the city on a rainy day ended in THIS), we weren't really feeling like driving up to the city.  We talked about doing the dinner-and-movie thing at our local theater, but I didn't really want to see John Carter, plus I wasn't sure how comfortable I would be sitting for a two-hour movie at this point in pregnancy.  We'd already dressed up to go to the nice restaurant, so we went to Applebees.  Then we went to WalMart (so romantic) and bought a movie to watch (still cheaper than it would have been to go see a movie).  We went home, put on our comfy clothes, and watched Pirates of the Caribbean 4 - without having to worry about the volume being loud enough to wake up the boys.  Then I got to sleep undisturbed until 9:30 the next morning.  Paul and I spent the day chilling, running to town to the lumber yard, and working on some projects.
And you know what?  It was a great anniversary.

1 comment:

Scrat on Speed said...

'John Carter' was pretty good. Better than 'Pirates 4'. I don't own the latter, because I wasn't sold on it; but I will own the former, you can borrow it.