Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas Getaway!

I'm getting so excited for our Getaway.  Last year, instead of exchanging gifts, Paul and I bought tickets to see his favorite musician and planned an overnight getaway.  Even though circumstances were nothing like we imagined they would be, we still had a good time and really enjoyed it.  So much better than "because I had to" or "because you need this" presents.  This is more of a "I can remember there is more to being a woman than being a mommy" and a "my husband gets my undivided attention (and I get his!)" gift.  So we both win.
So we decided to do it again this year.  Trans Siberian Orchestra is playing in Kansas City this weekend, and Paul wanted to go as soon as he heard about it.  So we bought tickets.  We were going to stay at a downtown hotel, just to try something different, but it turns out they were more expensive than the lower-end rooms at our favorite place, Chateau Avalon (and there you get a hot tub and a free breakfast!).  And then I got an AWESOME deal on a room.  (Sometimes it does pay to procrastinate!)  They had a limited-time special of $129 for any room, excluding their two biggest.  Boo-yah!  We got their third-most-expensive room, the Camelot, which is normally $389, for $129.  So. Excited.
The only thing that's up in the air is where to eat.  We wanted to go back to a restaurant Paul took me to when we were dating (the Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant), but we got to thinking about logistics.... It is on the Plaza, so we'd have to park and walk, then go to the Power and Light District (while one concert is letting out, and people are trying to park for the second), and park and walk again.  So we decided to go over early and eat somewhere in the Power and Light District.  It turns out some good friends of ours are also going to the concert, so we're going to try to meet up with them for dinner beforehand.
Anyhow.  I'll shut up.
Merry Christmas, to me!

No comments: