Sunday, April 25, 2010

First Date

Last Tuesday, Paul's mom came over to watch the boys during praise team practice, as she has been doing. Paul was actually off and not otherwise busy on a Tuesday, so he went to practice with me. As we headed home, he asked, "Do you want to go straight home, or go for a drive?"
I was a bit bewildered at the thought of doing something other than rushing home to rescue my mother in law, but said, "Oh. I guess we can go for a drive."
About a minute later, as we listened to the sound of the tires on the road and the wind rushing in the open windows, I realized that this was the first time in a long, long time that we had been in the car together without the running narration from the back seat, "Daddy! A TRACTOR!!" "Mommy, look! A water tower!"
It was so nice.
I reached over and took Paul's hand, and we took the scenic route home, driving through the river bottom and looking at the newly worked fields. It may have only been a 15-minute detour, but it's the first date we've gone on since at least last July.
It was the perfect ending to a perfect spring day.

No comments: