Monday, November 9, 2009

"I Love You, Daddy."

We finally got Nathan to say "I love you" this weekend. We've been working on it ever since he first started talking. Shortly after he started saying his first words, I got him to say something like, "Ba Ba Boo." I translated that to be him repeating what I'd just said. But nothing even resembling it ever since.
Our son is not very free with his affections. He does okay with hugs, but mostly only to parents and grandparents, and either flat out refuses kisses, or will only incline the top of his head toward you. Absolutely no mouth kisses.
Saturday I was sitting on the couch teasing him, asking him, "Can you.....[fill in the blank]?" So I threw in "Can you.... Say 'I love you'?" And he said "I love you," with a big grin. My heart went pitter-patter. I'd waited so long to hear those words.
So imagine how much my heart melted tonight when Paul was putting his boots on to go to work, and Nathan walked over to him and out of the blue said, "I love you, Daddy."
Paul looked up and said, "What did you say?" And Nathan repeated it, "I love you, Daddy."
Paul beamed a smile over at me then said to Nathan, "Ah, I love you, too. Can you give Daddy a hug and kiss?" Nathan ran over to him and gave him both - a kiss on the mouth even!
I didn't ask him, but I'm pretty sure that made Paul's night. Definitely gave him something to smile about during his 12-hour shift.
And as much as I'd love to hear the phrase with "Mommy" on the end, I am really glad that Paul got the first spontaneous "I love you." He deserves it - he's such a good Daddy.

3 comments:

The randomness that is my life said...

It does get you desn't it...two night's ago I was putting Glenna to bed and she yelled down the hall I LOVE YOU MOMMY. I think she almost cried...

The randomness that is my life said...

ok so I can't spell

Brooke said...

I cried again reading this! Sunday was the first day she ever said it to me. Bedtime was the second time. When she said it earlier that day after I gave her a hug and told her I loved her, I did cry. I will always remember that- it was on her birthday!