Thursday, September 17, 2009

I Forgot How Much I Missed Him

Last night I got to sleep all night with Paul for the first time since..... August 24th. (Had to check the calendar.) That's 22 nights of having the bed to myself. Granted, there were 3 nights one week where he was off (but didn't know he was going to be off until the last minute), and he took vacation Monday for Nathan's birthday, but all four of those nights he had to (or thought he had to) go to work the next night, so he stayed up at night to sleep the next day.
I was worried that I wouldn't be able to sleep once I had to give up real estate. I'm 8 months pregnant, and without another resident in our queen size bed, I've been taking three extra pillows to bed with me - one for between my knees to relieve back pressure, one for behind my back to keep me from rolling over (with my circulation issues, it's better that I lay on my left side), and one to hug (because I breathe better if I don't have an arm dangling across my body). Last night I eliminated one pillow to make room for my beloved.
And I slept like a baby. All night.
Lately, I've been sleeping good for 4-5 hours, then after my first bathroom trip, tossing and turning the rest of the night. Last night, I woke up for my bathroom trip and found Nathan screaming and sobbing (we took the baby monitor out of his room, and apparently I can't hear as well as I thought with the fan on in our room). Even after being jolted awake and running up the stairs, I still fell back asleep right away. I only didn't sleep well after 5 AM, when Paul left for work.
I haven't really minded Paul working so many hours, and not having all of a day to spend with us, but I have missed him at night. About half of the nights, I've had to put Nathan to bed on my own. And we haven't done our night-time devotions, which we were just getting in the swing of doing. And I miss those end-of-the-day discussions you have after the lights are out just before you drift off to sleep.
Now he's on days. I have no idea how many days straight they'll be working this run, but I'm sure at the end of it, I'll be complaining about it as well. But for now, I'll enjoy him being home at night.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I feel your pain. Rocky schedule/shift changes every seven days. I get real used to him in bed with me and our nighttime conversations and then just like that I'm in bed by myself again.

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

Unfortunately I get my deepest sleep when Doug is on nights. I am more easily disturbed now than I used to be. But I have NO intention of setting up residence in a separate bedroom!!! As long as the shift keeps changing, I can catch up right???? And our new mattress is a huge help.