Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our 5th Anniversary

All week, I've known I wanted to blog about something. I do have a couple other things for separate entries, but I knew it wasn't pressing like the one I knew I'd wanted to write......
I'm so spacy these days.
Our 5th anniversary was last Friday. And Thursday, it felt like, since that's when we actually went out.
It's been the best 5 years of my life. I am so happy.
We got asked to play for a wedding the weekend of our anniversary, so the rehearsal was on our actual anniversary night, which is why we went out on Thursday.
We dropped the Munchkinator off at his Grampa and Gramma's house and took off shortly after lunchtime. We stopped by the Olathe hospital to see my friend Josh who works in the coffee shop in the Doctor's Building. He wasn't there, of course, but I got my much-needed caffeine boost and we headed over to the Great Mall to find a bathroom and use a gift card to Burlington Coat Factory I've had since Nathan was born. We can't go on a date, it seems, without buying something for Nathan. Oh well - that shows we're always thinking about him. (Yet I didn't worry about him constantly, that he was fussing, so maybe I've grown up and learned to loosen up a bit.) After finding him some sandals for wearing in the garden this year, we headed up the backroads to The Legends (up by the Kansas Speedway, Cabela's, Nebraska Furniture Mart, etc).
We checked into Chateau Avalon and unloaded our bag. Paul had set up everything, and he got us the "Seville" room, and ordered a rose-petal turn down. It looked so pretty when we got there! I wish I'd remembered the camera.
Paul watched TV on the huge king-size bed while I got "all sexed up" (meaning, I actually put on makeup). There were more people staying there than have ever been when we've been there (this is the third anniversary we've spent there, all on weeknights). Someone in an adjoining room started playing music really loud (every room has surround sound CD/DVD players). And it was what my mom calls "jungle music" - all bass and "artists" grunting the whole time. Totally annoying. (Annoying neighbors seemed to be a theme.)
We went back and forth on what to do for our date. We kind of wanted to see a movie, since we never get to do that, but there was really only one movie that interested us, and it was only sort-of - the type you wouldn't mind renting, but don't necessarily want to go see in theater. Of course, there were about 5 that looked good that came out the next day. Oh well.
We decided instead to go bowling. We went to Pin Up Bowl which is actually in The Legends shopping center - it's a little 12-lane joint (clean!) and done in a 50s style. We spent the same as we would have on a movie and played two games. Paul smoked me the first game (even though I started the game with three strikes in a row) 125-99, and then I beat him the second 122-120. It was a whole lot of fun, and much funner than sitting in a movie theater for a less-than-stellar movie.
We went to Outback Steakhouse for supper. We had talked about going to Jazz (A Louisiana Kitchen), but looking at the menu...... We both knew we were in the mood for steak and potatoes, and Jazz's menu looked a little... too cajun.
We both failed to realize that it was spring break, therefore there was an overabundance of teenagers out and about. We had to wait a bit for our table, but since there was only the two of us (the others waiting were like two parties of 6), it wasn't more than about 10 minutes. They seated us at a booth adjoining a table with 3 high school girls..... Not bad in itself, except A/they were drunk, and B/our waiter couldn't seem to tear himself away from their table to actually serve us. (He didn't get a very good tip, due to that fact, plus: he didn't serve us our bread, couldn't seem to keep our water glasses full, and got my order wrong.)
Those girls were SO ANNOYING. Nothing against high school girls in general, but when Paul mentioned he thought they had been drinking, and I started paying attention to them..... Gaah. We listened to them talking, and Paul said it was just like listening to the filthy mouths of the men he works with. The conversation I remember most was:
*beep beep* (text message)
"Who is it?" one girl asked.
"It's Jessica [or whatever]. She's a f---ing whore. I hate her." (meanwhile probably texting "lol can't wait to see you at school on Monday!")
And she went on to talk about how she had written with marker all over this girl's car - on the actual paint - various curse words, slang words, and insults. And then she said, "And my mom made me pay her $70 for her to fix it." Like she was so surprised there should be a repercussion for it.
Then add to that that all three of them fawned all over "Randall", our server, and tried to get him to break up with his girlfriend to go out with one of them. Because "I'm almost 17!"
Ulgh.
But the food was good. I ate WAY too much, but we had no way to keep leftovers, so I HAD to finish it, right? We forgot Paul had ordered us chocolate-covered strawberries and a fruit and cheese tray at the hotel. We managed the strawberries, but had to cover the fruit and cheese for later.
We got back to the Chateau and checked out a DVD (my way of preventing channel-surfing... Paul's like a little kid in a candy store with cable tv). At the desk, the clerk was calling a room - apparently our neighbor - and asking them to turn their music down. Things seemed fine until we turned the jets off on the jacuzzi...... and we could hear the music again. Apparently they got another call, because it quieted down for an hour or so. But when I woke up at the end of the movie (not my fault - warm bath, soft bed.... impossible to stay awake), the thumping music had started up again. It kept up until at least 1:30.
I didn't sleep that well - I hold to the notion that it's because the bed was so big and I couldn't snuggle up to Paul in the middle of the night. That may or may not be true, but it's possible. But since we stayed in bed until 9 and were just generally lazy, it made up for not sleeping well. I ate way too much again at breakfast - I ate most of the leftover fruit and cheese tray when I woke up, because I was starving, but when my breakfast got there at 9, I ate all of it, too. Oh well. It was free.
That's what we did for our anniversary. Sorry it's late, and that it's rambling. My brain just doesn't feel quite connected today.
Maybe I need a nap.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

It sounds like ya'll had a blast! Our 5 year is coming up in August, but I don't know what-if anything we will do to celebrate. It's pretty likely that he will be gone for training and I may not even see him. I guess we will have to celebrate early.