Monday, March 16, 2009

Nathan Lately

We're really enjoying Nathan this spring. He is discovering and exploring and learning things so quickly. In the last week or so, he has added the words cup, hat, and apple, and the phrases "All done" and "It's stuck" to his vocabulary.
"All done" cracks me up when he says it, because he can't do it without hand motions. He holds one or both hands up and flips them back and forth. A lot like the sign language for "done" or "finished" - but I haven't done those for him for months, because he never responded to them.... I just kind of gave it up as pointless.
He is really into playing with his tractors and trucks. When they go forward, he makes the "mmmmmm" motor sound, and when they go backwards, he makes a "bee bee bee". I don't know where he picked that up, as we've never been around any vehicles that do it. I may have done it a few times early on when we got the toys. His trains always go "ch-ch-ch-woo-woo!" Totally cute.
He can do all the farm animal sounds (sheep, goat, horse, cow, chicken, rooster). We're working on donkey and duck. He can do a few other animal sounds (lion, monkey), but he plays with plastic farm animals, so that's what he sees more.
Yesterday, for the first time - ever, I think - we left him in the nursery without a meltdown. Paul took some time to situate him, then left for Sunday school with no crying. When Paul took him down during the service, he wanted to go to the nursery - he pulled Paul there, then left him at the door and went to play. I'm looking forward to the clingy/needy stage being over. It is so exhausting - especially since most Sundays I don't have a choice...... I have to lead worship, so that involves leaving him somewhere - in the pew with a grandparent or in the nursery. Up until now, he's screamed and cried, no matter where I leave him. Hopefully this is a glimpse at what Sundays will be from now on. I can only hope.
Last week, though, he made it clear through the service without going downstairs. It was Hymn Sunday, so I didn't have to get up to go lead, but he stayed in the pew and played quietly or drank his milk the whole time. I'm okay with that, too.
I think some people shake their heads when I end up taking him downstairs every service and wonder, "Why doesn't she just take him down there to start with?" It's because I want my kids to know how to be quiet and sit still for church, or for a wedding or funeral, or whatever. If I leave him in the nursery every week, and then after he graduates from the nursery, send him to children's church every week until he's 10, you end up with a child who has never had to sit still for church, and they don't know how to be quiet and listen. Then we end up with teenagers who read, pass notes, and text message during church because they never learned when they were little to sit still and pay attention.
Anyways. That was a soapbox that I never intended to get on. But that's where we are with Nathan.
Well, I need to start thinking about lunch for the minions I babysit. It's 10:30, and the "I don't want mac and cheese!" whining has already begun. Sorry, kiddo, but that's what your mommy brought, so you can eat it or go hungry.
And lest you think I'm mean, I do this to Nathan, too. It's my effort to dissuade picky eating. The problem with Nathan is, he's fine going without food. Sometimes I wonder how he's so healthy eating as little as he does.
Oh well.

1 comment:

carrie said...

I don't wonder that. I know what you're doing and admire you for it.

Sadly, I enjoy the break a little too much to bring Xavier up there with me. Let's just blame it on the fatigue of old age, shall we?