Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It's Winter.

So I don't have anything to write about.
We're "nestled in" for the winter.... I try not to leave the house unless I have a specific reason (i.e. house cleaning, band practice, etc.); even though gas is less than half what it was about a year ago, I still want to cut corners and scrimp where I can. Like yesterday: I really wanted to go into town - I have several non-pressing errands that need done, but nothing that HAD to be done on a Monday. So we're leaving early for band practice tonight to do it all then.
We are enjoying Nathan so much these days. (Not that we ever did NOT enjoy him!) He is running all over the house, and he has the funniest little run - it's like he runs by bouncing on his feet and ankles..... I'll try to video it so you can laugh, to.
Apparently we've reached the age of repeating things he hears..... Guess I need to step it up on the "Words I'm Trying to Get Rid Of". Last night when we were playing he said "Whatcha doing?"(just like I say it), "Where'd it go?" and "I don't know." All as clear as day - but I'm not sure he realized what he was saying, because he didn't repeat them. (I'm sure had I said "crap" that he'd have been saying it all the rest of the night, then.)
Have I mentioned I hate whining? With a passion.
Right now the 3-year-old I babysit is whining because he didn't get to watch "train movie". Paul and I have decided that when we let Nathan watch TV, he has to sit and watch it, and when it's over, we turn it off. If he starts ignoring it in the middle of it, we turn it of. We don't want the TV to always be on in the background while they're playing or not paying attention. (Which is what the two I babysit are used to.)
Dallas asked to watch his movie, and so I told him to go sit down, and he told me no. I explained our "rule" two or three times, and when he kept refusing to sit down, I put in the Old McDonald baby movie that Nathan kept handing me. Which brought on a major whining fit, complete with hiding behind the couch. Yesterday the whining fit was over the fact that he didn't like the cup I gave him his requested drink of water in. I listened to it for 10 minutes before I put him in our bedroom so I didn't have to listen to him anymore.
Please tell me not all children go through this! I'm not sure I can handle it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If he starts ignoring it in the middle of it, we turn it of."
Emphasis on the last word.
Just doing my proof-reading duties. (c:

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

You can spank your own child for tantrums.. and whining if needed. Only takes once or twice if you are consistent.
Mom R