Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Rachel's Recipes: Summertime Favorites

We're starting to get stuff in the garden. Which means I'm starting to eat more veggies. And maybe more veggies means shedding a few more pounds - I love my new mommy figure, but would still love to get rid of these thighs (which, of course, is the last place I lose weight). My new endeavor: Meatless Midday. No meat at lunch time. Partly because of the whole losing weight thing, partly because we're out of meat in the freezer and my parents aren't having anything butchered until this fall.

Butter Squash
one yellow squash
butter
salt and pepper

Melt 1/2 to 1 tbsp of butter in a skillet. Slice up the squash and sautee until tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
Squash is my favorite, but it's also good with some zucchini and onions added.


Vinegar Cucumbers
3-5 cukes
vinegar
water
sugar
salt and pepper

Peel (skin, whatever you call it with cucumbers) and slice the cucumbers. If they are bitter (as happens in dry, hot weather), sprinkle generously with salt and let set for several minutes. Rinse before using.
Mix equal parts water and vinegar (about a cup each). More water for less "waaaw". Add a tablespoon or so of sugar and a few shakes of salt and pepper. Pour over cukes and enjoy.
I usually sliver up an onion to throw in, and you can also add green peppers.

1 comment:

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

I love summer and garden produce too. Today I put up those apples that were given to us---without air conditioning. By the time I finished it was cooler outside at 90 degrees than inside. Anyway I got 18 quarts of applesauce; 32 cups of pulp for apple butter;and 16 cups of juice for jelly. And the goats across the street got a feast. Yesterday we gave them bean plants. Oh and I have potatoes for you. Remind me.
Mom R